The Basics: I’m Undocumented Do I Qualify Under The Expansion of Deferred Action Just Announced?

Categories: Immigration Lawyer Blog San Diego

In his November 20th announcement President Obama expanded his policy of providing deferred action and work authorization to long-term residents of the US. From the little we know so far, the expansion includes individuals who’ve been residing in the US since 1/1/2010 if they fall into either of two categories:
1. Are the parent of a US citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident of any age,
2. People of any age who entered the US before they were 16 and graduated from a US high school or GED program.

Here’s the White House’s Infographic of the program:

No one will be able to apply for either of these programs for the next few months but one of the most important things you can do in the meantime is get together your documentation showing you qualify and if you qualify through US citizen children, filing back taxes. Here’s a link to what you’ll likely need to gather:
Once the forms are released we’ll have a much better idea of what is needed to qualify but the above list will give you a great head start. So gather your documents and then make an appointment to come see one of our attorneys to apply.