I’ve Been Granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals – Now What?

Categories: Immigration Lawyer Blog San Diego

For people who have had their applications for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals approved – congratulations!  After years of living in the United States as undocumented you now have valid work authorization and the ability to remain in the United States throughout your DACA time, barring any unforeseen complications.  You may think that you are done with the government now that your DACA request has been granted, but there are a few additional steps you should take after DACA approval.

First, you should apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).  Many people who have received DACA already have an ITIN number granted through the International Revenue Service (IRS).  If you already have an ITIN, this should be rescinded by contacting the IRS as it is not allowed to have both an ITIN and an SSN.  Once the ITIN is revoked and the SSN is granted your ITIN credit history should be transferred into the SSN you receive now that you have DACA.  This will help your credit history from your ITIN continue into your SSN.  If you did not previously have an ITIN, you can now obtain a SSN through your local Social Security office.  More information on this process can be found here (“Social Security Number – Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals“).

In certain states, you may also apply for a Driver License.  Almost all states require a Social Security Number to obtain a Driver License and, regardless of which state you live in, physical presence in that state must be proven.  Only two states, Arizona and Nebraska, have announced that people granted DACA are ineligible to obtain a Driver License.  DACA recipients should be eligible to obtain a Driver License in all other states.  A valid Driver License can act as identification in addition to your EAD card issued upon DACA approval and is recommended as a secondary ID.